A Message from our Board Chair
A Message from our CEO
2011-2013 Organizational Report
Desert Blood Services is now LifeStream's La Quinta Donor Center
We help save lives by connecting donors and patients through the gift of blood.
WHO WE ARE
LifeStream is a private, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) comprehensive blood center serving
more than 80 medical facilities in Southern California. Based on the need for a
readily available blood supply, LifeStream was established by the medical societies
of San Bernardino and Riverside counties and has been helping to save lives by connecting
donors and patients through the gift of blood since June 19, 1951.
Healthy volunteer blood donors are needed for surgery and trauma patients, transplant
recipients, premature infants and cancer patients. To meet emergency and ongoing
patient need, LifeStream must receive at least 500 donations daily in order to support
175,000 transfusions annually. Multiple blood drives are held daily at business
sites, churches, government agencies, high schools, colleges and civic organizations.
In addition, LifeStream operates five donor centers located in San Bernardino, Riverside,
Ontario, Victorville and La Quinta. Blood components are stored and distributed
from LifeStream facilities in San Bernardino, Placentia, Victorville and La Quinta.
- Community blood donation. Provide our community with a safe and ample blood supply.
- Autologous donations. An autologous blood donation is when a person donates blood
for their own use, prior to a scheduled elective surgery.
- Direct donations. A directed blood donation is made when someone you know needs
blood. A directed donor must be a compatible blood type and qualify as a healthy
- Automated collection. A process known as apheresis which separates whole blood into
- Therapeutic procedures. When your physician prescribes that you have blood drawn
to improve a medical condition.
OUR COMMITMENT TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: OUR VALUES
- The needs of patients and donors are of primary importance to us.
- We treat all people with dignity, compassion and respect.
- We are committed to open and timely communication.
- Our actions are governed by honesty and integrity.
- We strive to achieve excellence through continuous improvement.
- We view change as a natural and essential element for successful growth.
- We are responsible stewards of our organization's resources.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- William T. Powers, Chairman
- Jim Peterson, Vice Chairman
- Terri L. Proctor, Treasurer
- Frederick B. Axelrod, M.D., MBA, Secretary
- Charles K. Anderson, M.D., MBA
- Dan Connor, MBA, CPA
- Eric Frykman, M.D.
- Thelma Korpman, M.D.
- John S. Lewis
- Raymond C. Prospero
- Michael Sequeira, M.D.
We welcome you and/or your group at our donor centers and laboratories. Simply call
us at 1.800.879.4484 to arrange a tour.