Healthcare Providers or Hospital/Public Health Representatives
Thank you for your interest in referring recovered COVID-19 patients to LifeStream for COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma (CCP) donation. Please read the following carefully, and contact us for any questions at 909-386-6837. Please note that LifeStream cannot currently support “directed donations” (collecting CCP from a specific person exclusively for the use of a specific patient); see below for more details.
Donors must meet ALL routine criteria for blood donor eligibility. Our staff will pre-screen any potential donor, but we ask you or your staff to review the questions with the donor before referring him/her to us.
COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma donations can ONLY come from donors who have fully recovered from a confirmed COVID-19 infection AND have successfully completed an eligibility process in cooperation with their physician and LifeStream Blood Bank’s Medical Services team. If you believe you are eligible to donate COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma, please click below or call 909-386-6837.
COVID-19 Specific Criteria:
- Donor must have a confirmed positive diagnostic laboratory test for COVID-19 (e.g., nasopharyngeal swab); copy of result or physician attestation statement required
- Exception: Patient did not have a diagnostic test BUT has a positive serological test for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies after recovery
- Donor must have been completely symptom-free for at least 14 days (with no anti-fever medications)
- If symptom-free for 14-27 days, a second diagnostic test with NEGATIVE results is required; copy of result or physician attestation statement required
- If symptom-free for at least 28 days, no second test is required
- IF AVAILABLE, donor should have a COVID-19 neutralizing antibody test with titer
NOTE: Female donors who have been pregnant and have not been tested for anti-HLA antibodies will require pre-testing for those antibodies; we will work with the donor to schedule a pre-qualification blood draw.
- LifeStream does not test donors or blood products for ACTIVE COVID-19 infection.
- Please DO NOT refer family members to LifeStream to donate plasma exclusively for their loved ones. LifeStream does NOT provide directed donations to specific facilities or patients. The process of “directed donation” (collecting plasma from a specific donor for use by a specific patient), is much more difficult and time-consuming than collection from the overall group of recovered COVID-19 patients. Given the massive recent increase in demand for CCP in our region and across the US, we are working urgently to increase the overall supply of this product for ALL patients.
I Read That the FDA Issued New Criteria for Donors. Has LifeStream Implemented Them?
Yes, these changes were implemented on July 20, 2020.
On April 2, 2020, the US Food and Drug Administration issued new guidelines for donor eligibility, reducing the deferral period from 12 months to 3 months for various events in a donor’s life. The most prominent example of this shorter deferral period is male donors who have had sex with other males, but it also includes tattoos and piercings, travel to areas where malaria is prominently transmitted, and certain donors who lived in parts of Europe (especially on military bases) in the past.
For more info about these changes, please click below.